These cupcakes are a step up from other ordinary cupcakes; our Zoë chili oil gives an extra punch and 'out of the ordinary' flavour that will keep you coming back for more. It adds just a slight bit of heat and alot of richness. Best of all there is no butter in this recipe and yet the cake is fantastically moist.
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup Zoë Chili Infused Extra Virgin Oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the buttercream icing:
- 1 cup room temperature butter
- 6 to 8 cups confectioner's sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Prep Time: 30:00 - Cook Time: 25:00 - Total Time: 55:00
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin cups (2¾ inches in diameter) with paper cupcake liners.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, Zoë chili oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill cups ⅔ full with batter.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add 6 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes and garnish with a pinch of chili powder to add colour and a bit of heat!